Wednesday, April 05, 2006

I Should Be Excited....

I should be excited today, I had been hoping for exacatly one year, that some Doctor would tell me WHAT I should eat. Yesterday that day came, then why do I feel like crying?

I'm not going to go into as much detail as I should on this post, because I have to go to the grocery store and buy things I can eat on a Low-Oxalate Diet. Now, if you look at the link, you may think to yourself that this is very restrictive. Well, Dude, I have restricted my eating 80% more drastically than this, on my own, trying to affect my migraine frequency. (At that time it was 3+ times per WEEK!) So really, this should be easy. It just takes some thought as to what I put in my mouth. If there's one thing I've learned on this journey, it's that food is just food. It's just something you put in your mouth to keep yourself alive. When I make it more than that, I get a weight problem! Because damn it, some of it tastes sooooo good!

Anyway, back to the Low-Oxalate Diet, during the time that I was being my own Doctor, because none of the "supposedly" real ones w/ the degrees could help me, I went on an allergy elimination diet. I played around with what foods I did/ didn't eat for months. It finally got to the point where I looked in the fridge and just stared. I was hungry but afraid that what I would eat would cause me pain. I was down to white rice and maybe a couple of other things. When people said, "My, you've lost a lot of weight, tell me how you did it, I want to try it." I would respond, "Well, it's the diet of pain and suffering and you really wouldn't want to try it. It's just not very glamorous. And I wouldn't tell them I ate just rice."

I thought, during this time (also the time before I realized I had about 8 giant kidney stones waiting to come out), that I wished a Doctor would just tell me what I could safely eat. Never thinking it would take ANOTHER PROBLEM to make that happen! I'll describe the kidney stone experience another time (if you check the link read about Extracorporeal Shockwave Lithotripsy & Ureteroscopic Stone Removal) but I recently did a test to determine why my body was making so many large stones at such a young age. He discovered that I am having a problem with Oxalate and need to restrict it.

So why am I hoping that this will help me with my migraines? Because many foods listed on the do not eat list are similar to those to avoid with migraines. And since it would seem that no Doctor has done a damn thing to fix me (Hence the title, the Dr. is out!) I have to become my own Doctor (cameradawktor) make my own decisions about my health while hoping and praying I will find some common link between my big 3 problems: allergies, migraines and kidney stones. Don't tell me there's not a link...I just don't want to think about that right now.

So I got my wish. Dr. "MNIL," (some of you will hear this story, you know who you are) has sent me my list of what to eat. I should be happy. I should be rejoicing at a prayer answered. But strangely, I already feel exhausted and I haven't even started this new way of eating. I'm sad, sad that I have to be different than you and watch what I eat. Grumpy that I had to take yet another Imitrex shot in the middle of the night.

So, if you've come from my Trouble blog and you really don't want to hear this, don't come back. This is just a sometimes difficult part of my life that I have to deal with and I need a place to store information and sort things out. Since I'm my own Doctor, hopefully I can find myself some answers and encourage myself. This way, I won't bog everybody down on my main blog.

2 comments:

Julia Reffner said...

I wouldnt be too sad about being different in that way. There are a lot of us out here who have to watch what we eat. For example there is a good chance I have blood sugar issues so I'm carefull about what I eat and my wife has IBS and has to watch what she eats if she doesn't want to spend three days doubled over with cramps. It just becomes a way of life I suppose. On the other hand I'm sorry to hear that you've had to struggle with this for so long and with how restrictive your diet has to be. I wish you the best and hope this new diet will work out for you.

The Lumpy

Anonymous said...

This is an excellent idea that will allow you track what works and what doesn't. I agree that the must be related some how! Good luck :)