Sunday, April 09, 2006

Wheat-Free Monkey Bars



I saw a great recipe for Monkey Bars over @ bakingsheet. Since it calls for all-purpose white flour and I cannot have that on my low oxalate diet, I decided to replace it with 3/4. white rice flour and 1/2 c. rye flour. I did leave in the chocolate chips, it calls for 1/2 c. Next time I would put in less, it would still taste chocolatey but not be cheating so much. Chocolate is a high oxalate food and I am not supposed to eat it. I figured one snack all week wasn't going to kill me. I've been drinking my water and being very, very good.

Here's what the family said:

Papa D: It was good.

Meyers D: It was really good.

TSE: I would definitely have it again.

Max-Ay: It was really really yummy and I want you to make it lots and lots of times.

Now, I thought that was a pretty good report, coming from kids. Especially when I used a rice/rye flour combination. It tasted like I had just used whole wheat. I was quite shocked at how good it turned out not having used white flour.

For the original recipe, or to make my version (just make sure to adjust flour ingredients) go see the Monkey Bar recipe @ bakingsheet.

1 comment:

CameraDawktor said...

Santhi-
Yeah, the lists are helpful but there are many foods I'm having questions about.

I'll see if I can find a more comprehensive list. There's only one cookbook on the market that I know of and I'll see if my urologist has a better list.

Coconut chutney sounds delicious. I love love coconut!