Wednesday, April 05, 2006

Low Oxalate Recipe: Swedish Rye Cookies


I was at Win-Co Foods today buying items for my new Low-Oxalate diet. As I was getting dark rye flour in the bulk section, I noticed a free recipe. It was for Swedish Rye Cookies. As chocolate and cocoa are high oxalate food items I've been wondering what shall fill my sweet tooth. I have to be honest, I've had better cookies. But these had a nice shortbread texture and were slightly sweet. Great for an afternoon snack with a cup of coffee!

Swedish Rye Cookies, Recipe from Win-Co Foods:
*CameraDawktor has changed flour ingredients to make it low oxalate*
Ingredients:
1/2 c. butter, softened
1/4 c. white sugar
3/4 c. rye flour
3/4 c. white rice flour
1/8 tsp. baking powder
1/4 tsp. salt
3 Tbsp. water
*CameraDawktor added 1 Tbsp. 1/2 & 1/2

Directions:
Preheat oven to 375 degrees. Cream together butter and sugar. Stir in rye flour, rice flour, baking powder and salt. Mix well and add enough water and 1/2 & 1/2 to moisten dough. Roll out onto floured board a 1/4 in. thick. Cut into 2 1/2 in. rounds. Bake on ungreased cookie sheet for 12-14 min. or until slightly browned.

**I would try using Sweet Rice Flour instead of plain white rice flour next time. I purchased this in a box at an Asian Market and is very sweet. I think it would improve the flavor of the cookie.

No comments: