Friday, April 07, 2006

Low Oxalate Recipe: AmerIndian Crockpot Beef Stew


I was looking in the freezer and saw a couple packages of stew meat. Since I usually put celery and potatoes in my stew, and those are high oxalate vegetables, I thought I'd experiment and create a low oxalate stew that was still loaded with vegetables that are O.K. on this restricted diet. * **Here is what I came up with.

AmerIndian Crockpot Beef Stew:

Ingredients:
1 1/2 lbs. stew meat
2 turnips, peeled and diced (about 3 c.)
1 c. acorn squash, peeled and diced (about 1/3 of an acorn squash)
3 garlic cloves, minced
1 small
sweet onion (about 1 c.)
1 c. diced red pepper

1 c. diced carrot
2 bay leaves
2 Tbsp. white rice flour
1 c. organic beef broth (without soy if you can find it)
1/2 c. burgundy wine (if you don't usually add wine to your stew, I suggest you start!)
1/4 tsp. kosher salt
1 Tbsp. dried marjoram
1/4 tsp. Garam Masala
1/4 tsp. mild curry powder

Directions:
Place stew meat in
crockpot and stir in rice flour until well coated. Pour in beef broth and wine. Add bay leaves. Next add turnips, onion, red pepper, carrots, acorn squash and garlic. Sprinkle seasonings over the top and stir well. Turn crockpot onto Low and cook 6-8 hrs. Or, turn crockpot onto High and cook 4 hrs. Serves 4-6. Serve with fresh, hot Dark Rye Bread or steamed white Basmati rice.

*The Garam Masala and curry powder could be doubled, although it had a great aroma while cooking, these flavors weren't very strong. So if you are looking forward to a kick of Indian flavor, I would suggest doubling the amounts. We eat our stew w/ a dab of horseradish, so I won't bother with adding more spices. I liked it just the way it was. THANKS TO SPICEHUT FOR ADDING A NEW TERM TO MY VOCABULARY!!! AMERINDIAN.

**This was so delicious. I'm not gushing over myself here, but I can't believe how perfect it was on the first try. My husband confessed that he never liked potatoes in the stew anyway, and much preferred this. My ten year-old daughter practically licked her bowl clean. Obviously, this will be the new stew recipe at our house!

4 comments:

CameraDawktor said...

http://www.branwen.com/rowan/oxalate.htm

This link is the first hyperlink in my first post on this blog. It takes you to a 3 column grid explaining low, medium and high oxalate items.

Spinach is a no-no, parsley is too, so I'm assuming cilantro would be (wawa I love cilantro) and mint? I'll have to check.

Are you making me some recipes????

lost in thoughts said...

Cool. You're totally into Indian flavors these days. Glad you're enjoying it ! Hmm...'Amerindian' sounds familiar to me :)

Got your email @ apple crisp. Thanks. The rice flour idea sounds good @ monkey bars.

Hope your health is better now.

CameraDawktor said...

SpiceHut-
Yes, I hadn't remembered hearing AmerIndian before (until I saw you use it)and sounded like a perfect term.

I really should credit you w/ that idea so I'll do that.

The health? Yesterday was bad but today is much better, thanks!

Anonymous said...

I'm learning this low oxalate thing too, but I think that potatoes are ok but acorn squash and red bell peppers are not.