Saturday, October 28, 2006

Saturday, busy day...

Saturday was such a busy day, I was really nervous about if I was going to get through the whole thing because it was the last day of soccer games for max-ay and meyers d. Since my husband coaches our son, and their games were at the same time, I had to take meyers d to her game.

When I woke up in the morning I felt no pain. It's a really sad thing when as soon as you become concious, that you do a body scan (or more accurately, a head scan) to determine if your a 1/4 of the way gone, 1/2 way gone, 100% gone....or perfect. My anxiety was still so high, it felt like I couldn't take very deep breaths. I told my husband that if fear had hands, it was choking me.

One of the things the man talked to me about on the 24 hr. psych. line the night before, was that first thing in the morning I needed to go to Urgent Care and talk to a doctor about how high my anxiety and agitation were. A few years ago I had a medication that I could take when I was pretty funked out and it would get me calmed down long enough for the intensity to pass. Basically it helped me not do anything stupid to myself. I have an underlying bipolar "problem", so it's very important that this issue be addressed, but that whole aspect of me is a completely long story so I'm not going to even try to explain it now.

The clinic got me right in after I told them how high my blood pressure was and how difficult my night was. The doctor was so fantastic that I was shocked. He leaned in when he was listening to me explain what was going on. He totally thought we should address the high blood pressure as it greatly contributes to the migraines and the anxiety. Or, (most likely), the high pain from the migraines causes the high blood pressure and anxiety. Also, my blood pressure was still high, 137/100. He felt we needed to address that because some of the medications used to treat blood pressure are also migraine meds. Interesting, eh?

He noticed in my chart that I had been on a beta blocker before. Propanolol. Long story why I went off that, but it really helped control the migraines. Now that I am on another migraine controlling med., an anti-convulsant and mood stabilizer called Lamictal (anti convulsants are also mood stabilizers and migraine meds...another interesting fact), I felt very confident in trying it again. One of the strange things that happens to me preceeding a migraine, is that I sometimes feel my pulse throbbing really strongly in the large vein in my neck, right below my chin. It actually hurts and is quite painful and within minutes or hours a migraine can start. I have told many doctors numerous times about this problem but it never gets out and out addressed, although I am confident that they have taken note of it.

So, Mr. Quick Care Doctor prescribed Propanolol and Ativan. Ativan is the anti-anxiety med that is just taken when needed and now that my concerns have been addressed (I even got an anti-nausea medicine that is crucial to take before the DHE injection) I know that I can totally have peace and not need it at all, or only in times of great pain or the great pain aftermath.

Meyers D had a fabulous game that I was able to go to (the pulsing in my neck that started in the doctors office subsided within a half and hour of the first beta blocker pill) and then it was off to her party. I wanted to see her get her trophy and fully participate, but going to an indoor amusement place is like the last place a migraneur who just spent the night before in the ER should be. I stuck purple earplugs in my ears and crossed my fingers.

It was crazy insane in that place. There were like two other soccer pizza parties and a birthday party. Everyone could barely move. It was so loud that no one could hear what the coach was saying when he passed out the awards. As soon as he was done I told the hubs that I better leave while I was still feeling good, as the day was only 1/2 over with all the activities we had planned. But I had went, which I know blessed my daughter and for sure was a blessing to me. It makes my husband smile when I can participate because so often we don't know if I'll be able to until a few hours before an event.

After getting home about an hour, it started up again.

Why so many you're wondering? (If your not by now then check your compassion thermometer...) I'll get to that maybe in tomorrow's post.

So this time I took a frovatriptan and within an hour I was feeling better and ready to go to max-ay's ice cream party for soccer. This time I didn't wear earplugs because all my lady friends were there (other soccer mom's) and they all wanted to know how I was doing so we had to catch up.

After the party, Super Star's parents took the kids to their house and the hubs and I went to a Patsy Cline impersonator concert. I didn't really want to go but the hubs likes stuff like that and it seems like I can't participate in things so often. We need to do things as a couple, so I took the purple earplugs and enjoyed a much more toned down show.

All in all a good day, it's hard to believe I could endure such a long, busy day after being in the ER. It probably would have been better if I stayed home and rested, but I'm sure my family feels shortchanged a lot of the time, I know I feel that way, so sometimes I just have to suck it up and plow ahead.

No comments: