Sunday, November 12, 2006

Ya, Sometimes Life is Like That....Sometimes...

the rain oughta be good for something
So this weekend, 3 day Veteran's holiday, I braved it and took the kids to stay @ the Breakers Hotel in Long Beach, Washington. I say braved it, because since I was the sole parent and sole chauffer, I knew I would really need to depend on my health to go.

Fortunately, it worked out great. Not just because I was able to control my headaches ( I had a few but was able to manage them), but also because there were two big storms this weekend. The trip to the Coast on the Washington slide was blocked on SR4 just 20 min. from my house due to a slide that happened from a previous storm just a few days ago. Fortunately, the Oregon side via Astoria was not blocked and is a little easier to travel anyway. I was just crossing my fingers and hoping that this route wouldn't be blocked too. Then I'd have to drive way north to Raymond and then home. Do-able but an extra long trip.

Friday I felt pretty good even with all of the driving. I ended up with a slight headache in the evening but was able to control it with tiger balm and an ice pack. It only lasted for a few hours...when I put the kids to bed I realized that I had only come in the contacts that were in my eyes. I forgot to bring my glasses and extra contacts. I am totally blind w/out them and didn't want to risk getting stuck there and not able to drive, so I loaded the kids up and drove all the way home to get them. 2 1/2 + total driving hours on Friday. Yikes! Made it home after 11 pm and we slept in our own beds.

Saturday morning we were out the door by 7:30 a.m. Felt some pressure in my head and was pretty irritable. By the time we got to Astoria, Oregon I decided to take a frovatriptan. Of course, like usual, the head not only felt better but the irritability went away too. Strange.....

It was a beautiful sunny day, a complete surprise for such a stormy weekend. We walked on the beach for a few minutes, went downtown and gave the kids each $10 to spend @ the arcade or on whatever they wanted. Then we went back to the Hotel and the kids went swimming. They have a nice sized indoor pool there. Woosh it was noisey in there, but they swam for about an hour. We rented Cheaper by the Dozen 2 from the Hotel lobby and watched that in the evening along with the latest episode of Little People Big World. Also, I had bought the kids a 400 piece puzzle before we left town and I helped them work on that too.

This morning it was time to go. First I took the dog for a walk on the beach. It was so windy that I could barely even walk against the wind. It was crazy! But as soon as I crossed back over the dunes it wasn't so bad. A good time to get out of town before the 85 mile an hour winds were supposed to pick up.

We had a pretty good drive home, not to wet but it was windy. Much better driving conditions than on Friday. We stopped for lunch/dinner @ the Logger Burger in Knappa, OR and I did a good job finding a meal on the menu that is migraine friendly. I had a green salad with carrots and beats w/ croutons and Ranch dressing, along with grilled chicken breast and baked potato. I haven't been real sure if baked potatoes are o.k. or not, but I didn't add sour cream and I didn't eat the skin (i love it but I read that the skin is high in tyramine).

We got home around 1 pm, rented a few movies and just kicked back the rest of the evening watching Sand Lot 2, Heidi, E! True Hollywood Story on Pink, and Extreme Home Makeover. I started to get a headache around 6 pm that started by the side of my nose on the right side and spread to my right temple, but I put some tiger balm on and iced it for twenty minutes. I drank some mint tea and within about an hour I started to feel fine. It was also time for my next dose of MigraLief and propanolol. I find that often in the mornings right before I take it and in the evenings right before I take it, that I feel pressure in my head. Within 20-30 min. of my taking the doses I often feel better. I think this stuff might be helping! Also, I've been encouraged this week in how my headaches have responded to non-prescription treatment and have dissipated on their own. That is very encouraging.

Only 4 more days until Botox. I sure hope that this will be the last big piece of the puzzle I need to get my headaches under control!

No comments: